Thursday, March 12, 2015

Cold & Flu during Pregnancy

I must admit, this past week has been a killer. 
Everywhere i went people have been coughing, sneezing and blowing their noses.
So much for trying to keep healthy during flu season!

First my parents caught the flu so they warned me to stay away; i ended up not seeing them for about two weeks as the flu spread from one person in the household to another.
Little did i know that when i got a phone call from my mother-in-law to come pick up some home made Pastitsio i would be walking in to a trap! After hugs and kiss gratings to the mother-in-law, grandmother and father-in-law; i sat at the table where my mother-in-law informed me that see had been to the doctors the previous day and has started taking antibiotics for a saw throat and ears that she has had for a few days.

At that moment i did not know if i was supposed to show concern for her not feeling well or anger that she invited me in her home knowing that she was ill... Nevertheless i tried to keep my calm and politely excuse my self after a quick visit.

The next morning i woke up with a slightly scratchy throat and drank some hot tea with honey to mild it down. I tried some positive thinking hopping that it was not related to the previous days visit. After a full day at the office, by evening i was sneezing and carrying around a box of tissues as if it was an extension of my arm.

That was that! Officially i was consumed by the flu!  
I tried to stay away from all medication not to harm the baby, but i felt my self get worse and worse by the moment. Luckily it was the week end i a did not have to think about getting up early in the morning, so i made sure to get as much rest as possible and not leave the house.

Durring the week end it was a consumption cycle of:
- Loads of Water
- Tea with honey
- Oranges and grapes (Vitamin C fruits)
- Chicken and Vegetable soup
- Honey with Cinnamon (together they have antibiotic properties)
  

  COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm  
  honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3 days. This process will cure most chronic 
  cough, cold and clear the sinuses.
- And only at the site of fever i took Panadol tablets (plain Paracetamol)

The soup and fruit helped keep my energy levels up, and soon the all the warm liquids helped the process of flushing out the illness.


It took me a another couple of days to finely feel better and by Wednesday i was to my almost normal self.
During the period of 5 days i experienced the bellow symptoms:
A lot of sweating during the night, a mild red rash all over my body as it tried to fight out fever (this i treated by applying camomile lotion on the rash to reduce itchiness), nasal congestion and somewhat blocked ears, scratchy throat and the last couple of days a  mild version of diarrhea accompanied with a cough due to phlegm in throat.

I have to admit that this was a challenge and the best way to keep healthy is to protect yourself before you catch the flue.

Eat loads of fruit and vegetables that are high in Vitamin C and try to keep away from people with the sniffils.


1 comment:

  1. First...CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PREGNANCY...
    Then... I wish your are feeling well now, and have no more problems with your troublesome throat...
    And again... I always said you had a very pleasant way of sharing your experiences...even when they are a simple but nasty cold...
    It almost makes us wish we were also sick with the flu...
    Lots of hugs and kisses,
    Tia...

    ReplyDelete